- Like I said, Salt & Pepper. Kosher salt or sea salt if you have the budget to cook with it on a regular basis. Try to invest in a peppermill. Freshly-ground pepper always tastes better. It depends on your buds but I prefer black pepper than white. I find that white pepper are often used in Asian cooking, though.
- Soy sauce. Yes, I'm Asian.
- Dried herbs. My personal favorite is Herbs de Provence. But stock up with thyme, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, etc.
- Garlic. Either you buy the pre-cut jars or fresh cloves. What I like to do is to mince a bunch of garlic cloves and keep them in an air-tight tupperware with a bit of oil. This can be kept in the fridge for about two weeks. Stay away from garlic powder! I think they are nasty.
- Sriracha hot sauce. Can't live without 'em!
- Beef bouillon cubes. You can find them in grocery stores, normally in the Mexican aisle.
- Dijon mustard. I like both the traditional and old style.
- Canned tomatoes, whether you want the canned whole, diced, stewed, or pureed.
- Lemon or lemon juice. Fresh lemons are always the best, but I always have the bottled alternative lying around in the fridge just in case I'm lazy to run down to the market (which always happen, I wonder why...)
- Sesame oil.
- Balsamic Vinegar and I also like to have Red wine vinegar too.
- Oyster Sauce
- Mirin. Japanese cooking wine, though I doubt that it has any alcohol content.
- Flour
- Breadcrumbs. I love panko!
- Mayonaise. Hellman's tastes like the real thing.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Staple Condiments
Simply salt, pepper and cooking oil suffice, but there are other herbs and seasoning that you might want to always keep in your pantry. This is my version.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment